Corrosion protection of cable applications with thermite welding and low temperature Pin Brazing technology.
Handy Cap XL IP is a 5" x 5" prefabricated assembly designed to provide quick, field-applied corrosion protection to anode and test lead wire welds on metal pipe and tanks. This economical product is ideal for use in limited access applications. The Handy Cap XL IP now adds the innovative technology of Tapecoat Gray Adhesive to its unique design. The integration of a primer in Tapecoat Gray makes field application of Handy Cap XL IP easier and more economical:
- No separate liquid primer required.
- Ideal for Keyhole Applications
- Dome and Tunnel Provide Easy Access
- Elastomeric Compound Encases Weld Profile
- Conforms to Small Diameters
Handy Cap XL IP is a larger version of the 4" x 4" Handy Cap IP
One pack contains 10 pcs of Handy Cap XL IP.
Construction - Molded plastic dome filled with corrosion resistant compound on a base of thick elastomeric tape.
Dimension: Overall: 5" x 5" (127x127 mm)
Plastic Sheet: 2.75” x 4" (70x101 mm) (serrated)
Sheet Thickness: 10 mils (0,25 mm)
Plastic Dome: 1.75" (44 mm) diameter/ 1.5" (38 mm) height
Adhesive Thickness: 180 mils (4,57 mm)
Maximum Wire Size: 2 AWG (35 mm²)
Application Temperature: -20˚F to 120˚F (-29˚C to 49˚C)
Service Temperature: -40˚F to 150˚F (-40˚C to 66˚C)
Shelf Life: Rotate yearly
Holiday detection setting: 5000 V
1. Clean all mud, dirt, grease, oil and other contaminants from the metal surface and mill coating which is to be covered. The Handy Cap XL IP incorporates an integrated primer in its Tapecoat Gray Adhesive and does not require the use of a liquid primer prior to application.
2. Remove the release paper from the bottom of the Handy Cap XL IP. Bend the plastic sheet inward at the serrations when applying to small diameter pipe. Position and place the Handy Cap XL IP on the welded area with the tunnel over the lead wire.
3. Push the dome of the cap firmly into the weld area. Lift the lead wire away from the pipe and squeeze the adhesive compound completely around and underneath the wire. Push the lead wire back down on the pipe and press the elastomeric compound into firm contact with the pipe over the entire area.
No further protection is required when the Handy Cap XL IP covers the entire exposed metal area. Uncovered areas should be protected with primerless Tapecoat or Royston tapes. Remove the narrow plastic release film to accommodate tool use for keyhole applications.